Cedar has long been viewed as a premium building material due to its:
- Dimensional stability, not being prone to shrinking, swelling or warping.
- Sound absorbing and thermal insulation properties
- Fast drying time making it less susceptible to rot.
- Being infused with natural preservatives and insecticides.
- Ability to absorb protective wood oils.
- Beauty due to grain and colour tones, and
- Being a renewable resource, as new trees are always being planted.
Although Cedar and timber are great building materials that can add value and beauty to your property, they are not ‘no-maintenance’ materials.
New Zealand weather conditions expose the exterior timbers and cladding on your property to rain, heat, and UV light. Added to this is the effect of prevailing winds and sea air for coastal properties.
“The main threats to your Cedar and timber structures are:
- UV rays from New Zealand’s harsh sun.
- Moisture entering the timber through unprotected surfaces.
- A build-up of dust, dirt and salt air contaminants.
- Plants trapping moisture in the timbers or rubbing off the surface treatment.
- Incorrect use of the water blasters and bleach style cleaners.
- Delayed maintenance”.
When the stain or oil surface treatments of your timber and Cedar cladding begins to fade and oxidise, it is starting to lose the pigments that provide the UV protection for the timber. This will result in a breaking down of the treatment and the deterioration of the timbers and appearance of your property. The effects of moisture entering the timbers, and then drying from the sun, will cause cupping, warping, and eventually the cladding will split and pull away from the fastenings.
Other signs that maintenance is needed is the appearances of spots or blotches. These are moulds, which may be black, white, red or green. In extreme cases you will have lichens or moss growing on the timber or cladding. Where the timber is constantly exposed to moisture you may even have signs of timber rot.
This can be prevented by following a regular maintenance program which will maintain, protect, and preserve the cladding and timbers of your property. The added benefit is that this program will work to enhance the beauty of your timber and add value to your property.